Toll Free
Home Before Your Move During Your Move After Your Move About Us Guest Bloggers Wanted

Who You Need to Notify When Moving

When you’re preoccupied with getting ready for a move, it’s easy to forget about letting relevant people and institutions know about your upcoming move and change of address. But notifying specific places and people of your relocation is essential for ensuring a smooth moving process and preventing various hassles and troubles down the line. Here are some of the people and places you need to contact when moving.
Family and friends
Naturally, your relatives and close friends should be the first to know that you are moving. Informing them of your relocation as early as possible will not only give you the chance to ask them help you move, but, if you’re moving far away, will also provide you with enough time to say a proper goodbye and plan for different ways to stay in touch despite the distance.
Current employer
Unless you’re relocating to a different branch of your current company, you should probably let your employer know about your decision to move and leave your job as early as a month in advance. This way, the company will have time to find a new person for your position, and you will be able to put all the relevant paperwork in order without any hassle. Also keep in mind that your old boss will need your new address to send you tax documents and insurance information at the end of the year.
If you live in a rental home, you should carefully review your tenant rights and responsibilities contained in the lease agreement. You will be required to notify your landlord of your intentions to move out at least 30 days in advance. You need to prepare a written notice that clearly states your move-out date and your future address. It is also a good idea to include a brief statement about the excellent condition of the rented property and to request your security deposit back.
Postal services
Changing your address with the Canada Post should be among your top priorities when moving, as it will help you avoid many troubles and inconveniences. To have your mail forwarded to your new place before you’ve updated your address, you only need to fill out a change of address request at your local post office or at the Post's official website.
To prevent service lapses and past-due bills you need to inform your service providers about your relocation plans. Arrange for the utilities at your old home to be disconnected on moving day, and have them reconnected at your new residence by the time you move in. The utility companies you should contact when moving include electricity, gas, water, telephone, cable, internet, waste collection and other municipal services you may need.
When you move out of province, you’ll have to transfer your license and update your vehicle’s registration and insurance within quite a short time frame (10 to 30 days, depending on your new provine). It’s a good idea to visit the local office of the Ministry of Transportation at the earliest opportunity, inform them of your new address, and request all the relevant information about putting the required paperwork in order.
The Canada Revenue Agency will need your actual home address to mail your tax return, fiscal notes, and other documents. All you need to do is print out and mail in the CRA’s Change of Address form soon after your relocation.
Financial institutions
To keep your finances in order, you must update your bank accounts and inform credit card companies, stockbrokers, and other relevant financial institutions of your new address either shortly prior to or immediately after your move.
Insurance companies
The insurance agencies that provide your life, health, and homeowners insurance policies should have your current address on file, as should any other organizations and individuals (such as your family attorney) who have dealings with you and your family.
Medical and educational facilities
When moving to a new province, you will have to enroll your children in a new school, find a new family physician, and transfer all your academic records, medical records, and prescription medicines. To successfully complete these important tasks you need to tell your doctors, dentists, vets and other healthcare providers, as well as the educational facilities your kids are attending, about your relocation and your new address.
Subscription services and clubs
Last but not least, you need to update your address with any sports, professional, or social clubs you are involved with. You should also notify the subscriber services department of any magazines or newspapers you want to receive at your new home.
You may have to personally visit some companies or institutions to notify them of your relocation, but in most cases you will be able to change your mailing address online or with a simple phone call. Postcards, e-mails, text messages, and social network announcements are also viable methods to inform people of your new address.

Who else did you need to notify when you moved? Share in the comments.

Tags : , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments (2) -

Allen Goldstein
Allen Goldstein
12/16/2016 12:17:13 AM #

Costa Mesa Movers told me that the insurance policies would be harder to change if you had not told them up fronbt

1/19/2019 8:04:17 PM #

Add comment


Moving Companies | Moving Companies Reviews | About Us | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Join our Network | Tools and Guides | Vendors Corner | Site Map
© 2022 All Rights Reserved.