Get Free Moving Quotes
How to Explore Your New Town With Technology
|Moving to a new town or community can be a stressful and disorienting experience, one which may be alleviated slightly by getting to know and becoming more and more comfortable with your new neighbourhood. And now, thanks to the wonders of technology, it's possible to explore your new community without leaving the comforts of your home.
Get to know the area using the internetOne of the easiest ways to get a feel for your new town after a move is to explore it virtually with the help of the World Wide Web.
- Look your community up on travel websites to see what people recommend you visit in the area
- Peruse various review sites to look up local businesses like restaurants and eateries
- Do a simple search engine check to see what others who live in your community or who have lived in your community suggest
Look into local news sourcesTo make sure you are at the pulse of local news and upcoming events in your area, look into and subscribe to several news options in your town.
- See if your community has a local television news or radio station you can watch or tune into in the mornings
- Find out if the local newspaper has a website with 24/7 up to date information
- Research if a neighbour or other member of your town runs a website devoted to news or happenings in the area
Take advantage of forumsAs with local news sites, a local forum devoted to your town should help you get to know the area as well as start discussions with other people in your new neighbourhood.
Not only will this serve as a great way to get find someone who may need your recycled packing materials after your move, but it will also be a quick and simple way to make new acquaintances and keep abreast of local news. Especially if you communicate better through technology than you do in real life.
Download community-exploring appsAnother way to find out what your neighbourhood and the surrounding town has to offer via technology is to get apps that keep you up to date on restaurants, shops and other places in your new community.
- Download travel apps that specifically recommend fun places and activities in your area
- Search for applications that allow you to explore your community via photos shared by locals (such as Trover)
- Consider getting into geocaching (a sort of global scavenger hunt) with your family
- Not only is it an outdoor activity that's fun for everyone, but it'll also allow you to explore various areas in your community with the help of technology like a GPS
Use your newfound knowledgeOf course, once you have a better feel for your new town, it's important to actually get out of the house and physically explore your new neighbourhood rather than relying solely on technology to help you.
Get to know your town more by:
- Taking a walk around the area
- Visit an interesting or intriguing restaurant or local shop you read about
- Go for a drive to explore the neighbourhood in a more organic way
- Get some fresh air in a local park with your loved ones
Remember, technology can be helpful, but it may also be a hindrance if you require it too much in your everyday life. Take the time to unplug every now and then and just enjoy your new town. You'll be considering yourself a local before you know it.