Get Free Moving Quotes
Tips for Moving During the Summer
based on 1 visitor(s)
|Moving during any season has its advantages and disadvantages and making a move during the summer is no different. For a safe and stress free move, check out the helpful tips and tricks below to survive moving in the middle of the hottest season of the year.
Consider the pros
Thinking about moving during the summer months? There are some advantages to moving while everyone else is enjoying their summer vacations.
- Your kids will be out of school and you don't need to worry about disrupting their learning schedule with a move
- Snow is non-existent so you won't have to fear bad road conditions
Think about the downside
That being said, moving all your worldly belongings isn't all fun in the sun. There are also some cons to consider when making your decision.
- It's much, much harder to move in extreme heat
- Everyone else is moving and it may be harder to book moving company help
- This could also drive up moving prices as a result of supply and demand
Book in advance
Since summer is one of the busiest months to move (it contains the dreaded Moving Day on July 1st after all) it's important to book a moving company as soon as possible. Preferably months in advance.
For help locating movers in your area, simply fill out this quick and easy form, which will put moving companies nearby directly in touch with you.
TIP: Due to high moving demand, also collect your packing materials well in advance of your move. Free packing materials in particular will be harder to locate.
Avoid the sun
The most important thing to keep in mind when moving in the summer is the harsh rays of the sun. To protect yourself:
- Schedule your move earlier in the day or later at night when the heat isn't so harsh
- Apply sunscreen liberally and often
- Wear clothing that protects your skin and reflects light
- Stick to the shade whenever possible and drink plenty of water
- Have your air conditioning set up and ready to go in your new home
Wear appropriate clothing
Just because it's summer doesn't mean it's safe or wise to wear flip flops and go shirtless in order to stay cool. When choosing your moving day clothing:
- Wear clothing you don't care about getting dirty or ruined
- Think about your comfort level
- Avoid restricting clothing or clothing that is too loose
- Dress in clothing that breathes well and protects your skin from injury and the sun
- For this reason also choose light coloured clothing which will reflect the heat
- Don't forget to wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes and make sure that your shoelaces are tied at all times
- Go for functional over fashionable
- Think about items with pockets
- Tie back long hair
- Avoid makeup, jewellery and other accessories
- Shorts and pants are recommended over skirts and dresses
Drink lots of water during your summer move. This rule applies to any move but should especially be followed in the summer to avoid dehydration which can lead to some serious side effects.
TIP: It would be helpful to any movers you may have hired if you have water on hand for them. It's also a great way to say thank you to your movers for their hard work.
Use your hydration time to also take breaks from the taxing moving experience. Use this time to take a breather, cool off and get your strength back before continuing with your move.
Basically, listen to the needs of your body to protect it from the elements. Yes, the weather may be perfect for a day at the beach, but moving day is a very different beast and should be treated as such.