Get Free Moving Quotes
What to Look for in Movers
based on 1 visitor(s)
|If you're planning a move, it's probably a good idea to hire professional movers. However, finding the right moving company for you is a process. So, consider these following tips and you'll know exactly which questions to ask when deciding which mover is right for the job.
Do your research
- Get multiple estimates. Compare quotes from several different moving companies to find a price that fits your budget. Also, be sure to note whether an estimate is binding or non-binding. (Binding means that you pay the amount quoted even if your shipment exceeds the estimated weight, but the company may charge you for this service).
- Visit the company website. Be sure to check out the moving company's website to see if the company at least looks legitimate. All of the license and contact information should be readily available, and if it's not, then you may have to continue your search for movers elsewhere. If a moving company doesn't seem trustworthy based on its website, how can you trust them with your belongings?
- Confirm that the moving company is officially licensed. This can be researched online or you can give the moving company a call and request license and accreditation information. It is extremely important that the movers you choose are licensed so you avoid those notorious moving company scams. Make sure the movers provide U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) and motor carrier (MC) registration numbers in a document or on their website.
- Investigate customer reviews. Taking a look at what previous customers have to say is always a good idea. Keep in mind that people are more likely to voice their opinions about a company if those opinions are negative and some companies fabricate positive reviews to combat this, so be careful where you look. Usually, the best places to read company reviews are third party sites like Yelp, or you can find complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau.
Questions to askAfter you've done your preliminary research, you'll want to ask specific questions when getting quotes from movers. The following are tips on what you should ask moving companies when you're receiving estimates.
Now that you know the right questions to ask, you'll be able to avoid sketchy moving companies and find the perfect fit for you. Make sure that the movers you choose are capable of moving what you want when you want to move it. Finding the right moving company can do wonders for relieving the stress that sets in as your moving day approaches. To get a jump start on this process, get a free moving quote today!
- Are your estimates based on weight? Distance? A combination of the two?
- Do you charge by the hour or by the piece?
- Do you charge extra for larger items?
- Is there an extra charge for moving items up or down stairs?
- What are my payment options?
- Do you offer insurance for my shipment? What are the available policies?
- What type of training are your movers required to complete?
- Are there any other extra fees?
- How will you pack my items? What materials will you use?
- Are there any items you are not permitted to move?
- What are my responsibilities when packing my belongings?
Author : Ryan Hussey
on October 15, 2014
TopMoving.ca - Moving Expert